Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Thoughts Rowling Around In My Head

From a recent article about the final two Harry Potter movies:

Author Rowling has said she was devastated after finishing the final "Harry Potter" book, which was published in July 2007 by Scholastic Corp in the United States and Bloomsbury Publishing elsewhere in the world.

Rowling has also remained involved throughout the making of the films, reading scripts before shooting begins and offering suggestions

(Director David Yates) "She's really gracious, she's not territorial. She kind of recognizes the challenges of adapting (a book for a film) and she's really sympathetic to that."


Three thoughts strike me:

1. The thought of completing a written work (or set of works) so dear to me, I grieve at the final keystroke. I'd like to know that feeling.

2. I would struggle with releasing my prized works to someone else and see those works take on a different form (with or without my involvement). I need work in that area. I guess it's my OCS (only-child syndrome) coming through. That's for a later post.

3. I'm reminded of the grief of Jesus at the cross where he declared his work finished. I'm thankful for his involvement, grace, and sympathy while he lets me play a part in the greater result of telling his story

Rowling fan or not, kudos to an author who can invest and divest themselves from their cherished work for the greater result, in this case, a cinematic thrill reaching wider audiences.

As to the author of life, giving up your one and only son so we might live, eternal thanks.

Expellipostus.

No comments:

Post a Comment